What is DIMO
DIMO (pronounced "Dee-Moe") stands for Digital Infrastructure for Moving Objects
Vehicle owners use DIMO to get more out of their cars. DIMO apps allow them to collect, use and monetize the data from their vehicles, which can be connected using the DIMO Mobile app, as well as with 3rd party hardware devices available at shop.dimo.zone.
Developers & Data Consumers can build apps and services on a stable, open platform — reducing the cost of delivering better mobility products and services.
DIMO is built in the open with open source components. This approach unlocks new levels of transparency, privacy, composability, and reliability in IoT networks — increasing user and developer trust in connected devices and services.
DIMO uses the Ethereum Virtual Machine (aka blockchain), cryptography, open source software and hardware to accomplish the following:
- Create incentives to join the network with $DIMO rewards;
- Use licensed hardware devices (e.g., the DIMO x AutoPi device) and approved software APIs (e.g., the Tesla API) to attach verified telemetry data to vehicles and trips;
- Allow companies to issue verifiable credentials to users, vehicles, or trips as a means to make a secure claim;
- Allow users to self-custody their data and to choose who share with on a case by case basis; and
- Give app developers and data consumers new abilities, allowing them to: make use of rich verifiable data; build better versions of existing businesses (e.g., cheaper insurance, more efficient car marketplaces); and build entirely new app categories (e.g., V2X, distributed mapping solutions, peer to peer sharing and sales).